Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Update/Cool life skills website

Update-
I will be moving to Colorado at the end of June. I have applied and interviewed for several positions. I have another interview on Monday and likely a couple more in the next week or so. These are high school and middle school life skills programs.  I am pretty excited, especially at the high school opportunities as I have wanted to get back to that setting for a long time. I just love knowing that I can have the most impact on a student's adult life at this level. Stay tuned for job updates later.

As for the Mono, I am on the mend, finally and am beginning to have energy for stuff other than work.

While contemplating high school, I started a new board on my Pinterest site titled High School Life Skills. I love Pinterest as you can find all kinds of cool and interesting ideas. Check out my Pinterest site here. While following one pin, I found this awesome interactive website called GCF Learnfree.org. You can go to this site HERE.

They have tons of technology tutorials, but they also have  some  real world skills that are interactive. Here is a menu of the skills, besides the technology tutorials, that I thought were wonderful.




 The following are some of the choices you can click on. There is a screen to push that gives you a tutorial on how to play. You can replay it as many times as you want. There is also a print-out of the steps.




This is the screen for Time Sheet. There is a person that speaks. You click to open the wallet and you input the information from the ID card and the small note card onto the time sheet.

Students need to be able to read and follow simple commands in order to do this, but I have always had a few students for whom this would be totally appropriate.  This is an awesome way to practice real life skills before doing it in the real world. In any case, it's free and I will definitely be using it as a tool in my classroom.







No comments:

Post a Comment