Thursday, August 13, 2015

Scheduling

I finally finished my schedules. Phew!! They are not my favorite thing to work on, but so vital. Once they are in place, the rest comes much easier!

This is how I do them. I take my students and look at their goals and objectives, and other important information such as behaviors and communication needs. I always know a few of the kids since I have them for 3 years, so I also consider their personalities. If it's a brand new classroom and new students, you do the best you can with the information you have, and then adjust as the days go by. I will likely make some changes that first week, and then smaller ones later, as we see how the schedule works.

I try to have several variations of groupings, so that I can have solid workable groups of twos, threes and fours.

I plug them into the schedule by periods and color code them by the person who will be working with them during that rotation. The color codes are in the last column. I also put all the adult's lunches on there, too. You can also see these on the right. This way it's easy to see where the adults are going to be throughout the day. I put numbers instead of student's names for the purposes of this blog.

Aside from PE and lunch, my students don't do much inclusion, unless a student has a talent, or is greatly interested in a subject, or is approaching grade level in  a specific area, such as Math, or LA.  I will have 2 students that will be taking art which is not reflected in this schedule but I will make those changes once I see when they are taking it. My program is self-contained, and there are other programs for students who are academically closer to their gen ed peers, but might need more support to be successful.








Finally, I do the adult schedules. Even though they can see where they are going to be each period in the student schedules, the adult schedule provides a little more detail about specifics like setting up schedules. When I do the adult schedule, I try to make sure that adults work with a variety of students and have some down time where they are prepping, or setting up stations. This is to prevent the burn out you can get working with the same students, or constantly going, going, going.





In the next couple of blog posts I will share my Paraprofessional handbook, where I have more information about my program and expectations as well as information about the various disabilities we work with, and then my Curriculum map for the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment