Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Rotation Descriptions- Independent work (IW) and Life Skills + freebie

Period 2 on  my schedule, see HERE, is also when we do Life Skills and Independent work. Students, in groups of 3, rotate back to the kitchen area with a Para. There we have 3 stations. The first station is in the Hallway, and is working on more pre-vocational  work tasks, such as office skills and packaging tasks. Station 2 is doing laundry, folding laundry, sorting laundry, and hanging clothes up. Station 3 is washing and drying dishes and putting them away, loading and unloading the dishwasher, wiping down counters, putting groceries away, mopping and sweeping the floor. Here are some examples of Life skills work tasks at Station 1. These boxes are in a cabinet and are numbered. They will be changed out monthly. Students take the number, match it to the box, and then put the box away when done.







In station 3, one of the activities we do is put groceries away, or find groceries in the cupboards according to a shopping list.  I sent out an email to our school staff, and asked people to bring in their clean grocery packages/items, such as the ones below. My cupboards are labeled with what is in there (dairy, spices, canned goods, etc) so it's a matter of determining what category something is, and then locating it. This would be for my readers. My non-readers will match a picture to items in one cupboard.


In station 2, we hang laundry up as one of our tasks. I don't have a closet, so I purchased a suspension cord and hung it in the doorway. There are an assortment of clothes to hang up, from shirts, to pants, to dresses, etc. Again, I asked the staff at my school to donate used clothes and they definitely came through for us. We fold the clothes, sort the clothes, do laundry, and put them away.





In my Independent Work (IW) area, the students do work boxes. These are an assortment of tasks from sorting, put ins, puzzles, academic tasks, adapted books, to fine motor tasks, etc. Over the years I have had different systems for this, but this next year the bins will be color coded (within each color there is also a range) so I can see at a glance what a students is working on. The student will grab an icon from their schedule, will match it to the box (there is a velcro spot next to the number where they will put their icon), and then take the box to the table right next to the shelf. When they are done with the box, they will put the box away and get the next icon. The Para whose job it is to  fix these, will know that the boxes with 2 icons are the ones that will need to be undone, thus saving us from having a finished box next to the tables.

Here's a photo of my boxes last year that are both numbered and lettered. Unless I memorized all the boxes and their contents, I wouldn't know what was in them unless I looked. 


That's why I came up with the color coding system that I will use this next year. They are color coded according to category and then numbered, etc., from easy to more challenging. They will be changed out monthly.






You can get this here, if you're interested. Next post is Fluency and binder stations.

No comments:

Post a Comment