Monday, February 2, 2015

February Blog hop and a quick review of January happenings.

Don't forget to click on the envelope for today at the top of my blog to get your Valentine freebie!

Last month was eventful and a little stressful, as has been my entire school year so far. But fun, too. Last Friday to end the month, I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is a disease that attacks my thyroid. This diagnosis was a little scary for me because my mother died from complications related to her auotimmune disorder, Scleroderma-CREST. The good news  was that this explained everything that has been going on with my body physically for the last few years, and unlike my mother's condition, there are things I can do to reverse the course of the disease. I'll need to drastically change my diet and exercise, among other things, so that will be another "fun" few months. But I am a stubborn Norwegian who is always up for a challenge, and I say BRING IT!!! Next up is allergy testing, where I will be a human pin cushion, but this will help me know where to start with my diet. Wish me luck!

In my classroom, we basically worked on recovering from our winter break, and we focused on social skills and  Social studies. For Social skills I tried to work on conversations and leisure skills and having students play games together. For social studies we worked on Japan and Martin Luther King, Jr. and started Black History month a little early. Plus we live in Seattle so the Super Bowl was a big topic for us in everything we did.

The Japan unit was  fun and we finished off the unit by making carp kites  to celebrate Children's Day in Japan. Here are two of my students working on theirs and one of the finished products.





 Here are a couple of the leisure skills we have been working on. So many of my students can't do much of anything except play video games and I want to make sure they have an arsenal of things they can do in their spare time besides that. Some of my students can put together puzzles really well and a couple of my students are still at the beginner stage. This second puzzle is great because it is inlaid and has a built in picture. The puzzle is wooden so it is sturdier, and finally, it has 12 pieces which is enough to provide a challenge but is not too hard.

Here's another game that is easy to play: Connect four. They have also been playing Uno, Memory game, and some simple board games, such as Trouble.


 Here is an activity we did for MLK, Jr. Day. I thought I took a picture of our finished product, but I will take one and post  it later as part of Black History month. I had the students cut out photos of people of all colors, which is great fine motor, and then they pasted them on a "window". We put these windows on a large cut out of a bus. We are also writing a few sentences in speech bubbles to go along with the theme. More to come on this later.


Another leisure/life skill. We made brownies. Cooking in our class is a challenge this year as I have at least one student that is gluten and casein free, with limited sugar exposure. But I found a mix that fit the criteria. I am trying to gather more recipes for that now, so if you have any suggestions, please share.



 And finally, my student drawing on the menu board in the cafeteria in preparation for today's Super Bowl. We ended up losing, but it was a wild ride to the bitter end.

That was a small taste of our month.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis Jannike. Sounds like you're doing a good job figuring it out. I will keep you in my thoughts.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen! I am learning to deal with it and reading up on the condition. It's helpful that I was a nurse prior to teaching.

      Delete