Saturday, October 25, 2014

Finally, resolution

I finally got an email this week stating I am starting back at my old middle school in the Autism program on Nov 5th. It was from the head of HR and there was an email trail from all interested parties agreeing to this date. Phew, what a stressful bunch of weeks and I am so glad it's resolved!

So now I am having to plan for when I start. I am going to stick with the curriculum map I did in the spring and which is posted on my old blog , which you can access here.

First up for science is rocks and fossils. I am still looking for resources, thank god for TPT, and am planning a trip to the Burke museum in Seattle to look at fossils to start the unit off.




 For social studies, we will be working on South America, and the geography, music, culture, etc of this continent. Looking forward to this one. Our field trip will probably include a south american restaurant, so we can practice ordering, money, etc. This will take place later in the month.  My goal is to tie our curriculum to community based instruction, twice a month all day, and do more local trips in our neighborhood to practice all of our life skills, three or more afternoons each month.



And finally, for social skills, we are going to focus on starting Superflex, and table manners for Thanksgiving. I am bummed that I missed Halloween, but it is what it is.




These are my main stations that will change monthly. The others are static or depend on IEP goals. Since I didn't start the school year with them, I have no idea what they've been doing except that they tried to follow my plan. So first up will be assessing their skills and then I will make changes once I have gotten the lay of the land, so to speak. I am so looking forward to this move and settling down in a program that needs me!!!

7 comments:

  1. No way!!! How crazy! At least things will get back to normal, the way you knew things. That's just nuts though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely looking forward tonormal and being busy, that's for sure!

      Delete
  2. As a future special education teacher, I was wondering if you can use the same lesson plans and activities every year (making minor changes where needed) or do you have to change what you do to fit you new students abilities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I have the same students for a few years, I like to change it out so that each year the students will have something new to learn. This would be for science, social studies, and social skills. The math and reading goals will change depending on need, and I will incorporate other IEP goals as needed, too. Since I am in middle school, I will hang on to my lessons, and try them again later, when students have moved on to high school. The curriculum map is great, and I can keep that, and just change up what I do. For example, for this month, we are studying south america. We are just doing an overview this year. Next year i might pick a country to focus on. Really, it depends on the kids I get. I am currently teaching medically fragile students, and they can't do any of this at all. In the autism program, the students I have are very academic and thrive with learning this material. Some of those students will leave and the newer ones I will have next fall are not as academic, so I will have to change at least some of the activities. I hope that answers your questions. I'D be glad to answer any others you might have.

      Delete
  3. For your students with autism that aren't as academic do you find you are cutting out science and social studies and focusing more on things like reading, writing, and verbal responses? Or do you try and combine them and just do a lower level of science?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of my students, regardless of ability, participate in science and social studies. I modify their response, and use a ton of velcro. My science is also modified. I looked at the tips being taught in my middle school science classes, and picked tips that were concrete and interesting. For instance, my school district does a quarter of a natural disasters unit in 7th grade. Well, we're doing it for a month, with one disaster a week. Next year I will change the topics up, since there are more than 4. Those that can write and read about the topic will do that, those that can't will do sorts, etc.alk will participate in experiments, you tube videos, etc. It's the same for social studies, one topic a month. I will also incorporate ULS into both, and that comes with support for lower students. Hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. Goodness, that should say topics, not tips.

      Delete