Saturday, September 6, 2014

Update and a couple of freebies

I got through the first three days and that first one almost did me in. I only have 3 students, but they are a handful. I still don't have any permanent Paras in my room, I am supposed to have 2, however they are hiring. I have one now that I am hoping becomes permanent. In addition to these 3, I case manage 4 students with Autism who are included in general education classes, and some resource, depending on their needs. I will only see them for 1/2 hour every Wednesday and Thursday when we do block schedules and  mentoring. My 3 students will fold in with one of the Autism programs for that time period.  I have no idea how those other students are doing, since they and  I have both had subs.

 It has been a slight learning curve for me. My 3 students are both lower and higher functioning than their IEP led me to believe, and I am still working only with the supplies I brought with me, although some supplies have started to trickle in. When they showed me the list of supplies I was getting for my classroom, I noticed that it said elementary Med/Frag classroom and I pointed out we were high school. They said they would adjust for that, but apparently it didn't happen since I got elementary supplies including finger paints and very small art aprons, and a teeny tiny blue chair that came all by itself. I giggle every time I see it.
I did get a CD/Tape player and headphones so we can listen to music, which has been nice. I still don't have any switches or iPads but I have been told they are coming. In the meantime, I have been scrambling to find work to keep them busy. I made a bunch of simple work tasks, and I am sharing 2 of them today. I have also had to adjust our daily schedule quite a bit since the first one I put together didn't work at all.  I will share that in another post.

The first item I'm sharing is a clothespin task working on simple AB, ABB, and ABC patterns. Simply cute and laminate.



The other item is a book I adapted from Tar heel reader called 12 Days of Halloween. This one needs to be laminated, or put in page protectors. Then add velcro to the squares outlined on the pages, and the icons on the end.







6 comments:

  1. Thanks Jannike for stopping by my blog. In August I was off traveling the world.(ok I took a planned trip to mostly 5 star hotels in South Africa) I know you are a great teacher and you will use that little blue chair, finger paints and very small art aprons to make your students college and career ready!

    There are a lot of angry NYC teacher bloggers- and l love each and every one of them for calling it like they see it. My favorite all time teacher, my 11th grade English Teacher (yes it was English not ELA or literacy in those days), told me to show, not tell in my writing. I try to just capture moments in the classroom and hope I make a point. Thanks
    Have a great year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green with envy about your trip!! Yeah, I have a bit of that anger as well. Been following all the educational shenanigans online, and through the Badass teachers Association. I have participated in some activism and try to speak up when I get a chance. Good luck to you, looking forward to seeing more blog posts!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to make and share your resources with others when you are obviously frantically paddling away there. I love the little blue chair but I can guess how out of place it looks in your high school pupils' classroom!
    Special Teaching at Pempi's Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I am not into selling anything so if i make something, i'll share it if I think of it. I am into buying, though :). Things are mellower this week, but I am still trying to fill time. I'm starting to learn what they can, and can't, do so the time has been valuable, even if not exciting of super productive!

      Delete
  3. haha that poor little chair! Hopefully the district gets their act together soon and gets you what you need! At least you only have 3 students...but I know 3 students can sometimes seem like a whole lot more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got the entire set, as well as a small preschool kitchen and a teeny tiny easel to go with all the art stuff. Still SMH. My VP came in and took photos and after she finished laughing, she basically said heads were going to roll. I am sending it all back in and going to try to gt something appropriate for my students. this was all from Lakeshore, and their stuff is pretty good. And who knew 3 kids could be so much work??!! All 3 need assistance in the restroom, one is tube fed, two are mobile, but use walkers (and yet one of those is a runner if your back is turned, hahahaha). I am discovering that there's more there than I saw in the IEP, so now I have to break bad habits and get them focused on and interested in learning. It should be a fun yea!

      Delete