Thursday, August 28, 2014

Ch ch ch changes...again!

My room is still a disaster, nothing new there. I still have nothing to work with, that is the same. Today , though, I learned that I will have only 3 medically fragile students, although none are severely so. But the autism program in our building was going to have 4 extra students,  which is over their contracted limits of 8 students each (2 teachers). And with my approval, I am now also going to be an autism inclusion case manager for the 4 new students. Basically, I will track them, and teach one class on social skills/study skills/self-regulation. The autism teachers will fold in my students for that one class. I'm actually pretty excited about it, even though it feels a little schizophrenic. But whatever, I can deal, and am actually looking forward to it. I plan to use SOCIAL THINKING curriculum by Michelle Garcia Winner. She's got a lot of books for teens with Autism/Aspergers.



I am also going to use Model Me Kids videos and accompanying curriculum. I thought all of their topics were appropriate for the new students I will be getting. You can find more information HERE.
Now, of course, I just have to wait for them to get here, so I will be punting in the meantime. What else is new.

For the three students I am teaching the rest of the day, I found this curriculum for Language Arts called Accessible Literacy Learning. You can find more information about it HERE. Meyer Johnson sells it and it is supposed to be great for kids that are non-verbal, with a variety of disabilities and /or motor needs. It works on phonological awareness and letter-sound correspondence. Anyone else out there tried it? It's expensive, as are all MJ products, but since it's a new program, I believe they will pay for it:

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. I have posted about your new blog and the problems you are facing in the hope that maybe someone can assist (I'm sorry that I am so far away here in England) - you might also want a little chuckle at my Viking resource created in your honour :-) Pop over to my blog when you have time http://pempispalace.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/five-for-friday-helping-others-vikings.html
    Keep smiling and I am sure things will work out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think of the Model Me curriculum. I was afraid it would be too high for my kids and would love a review from you when you get them!!

    karen
    Empowered By Them 

    ReplyDelete